St Paul's Lutheran - Muskego

Our Story

St. Paul’s is a Christian church located in Muskego, WI.

Fast Facts

  • Six weekly worship services
  • Traditional and contemporary services
  • Elementary school
  • Preschool
  • Early-childhood Care Center
  • 2,700 members
  • Four full-time pastors
  • A member of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod WELS

We want everyone to know that because Jesus died and rose again, we have freedom from the sin and guilt taking power over our lives. Because of Jesus’ promises to us, we are free from the fear of the future.

Yet we also know that no one is perfect. Sometimes we need to be reminded of these promises of freedom supported in our faith. It’s why we gather for worship and Bible study each weekend. We know a strong faith comes from hearing God’s promises again and again.

"Seems like an active church that is breaking out of the WELS mold in order to meet the needs/desires of a new generation. The biggest draw for us is the friendliness, The Bridge, and the kids programs." - Katie

Our History

1850 - 1874

1857
Two acres of land are sold to the mission for $100 by Jacob and Julia Tess. A small wooden church is built.

1858
St. John's Lutheran Church on 68th & Forest Home begins the mission for The First Protestant Church of Muskego.

1875 - 1899

1878
The congregation's first constitution was filed to the Town of Muskego. The name St. Paul's German Evangelical Lutheran Church is chosen.

1890
A schoolhouse for German religious instruction is erected.

1900 - 1924

1905
The new brick church is dedicated. Schwalback & Sons of Milwaukee were contracted to install a “Star Tower Clock” in the steeple.

1911
The St. Paul’s Congregation joins the the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod.

1925 - 1949

1937
English services begin to replace German services

1949
The last German service is held.

1950 - 1974

1958
A youth center and playground are built to accommodate a growing Sunday school.

1968
St. Paul's Lutheran Elementary School, held in the Youth Center, opens its doors to 58 students.

1975 - 1999

1971
An addition is constructed for the Youth Center.

1976
The St. Paul’s congregation votes by an overwhelming majority to build a newer, larger church.

1978
The last services are held in the old church.

2000 - Today

2004
The Child Care Center is opened.

2006
Contemporary worship services are incorporated to reach those with different tastes and styles of worship.

2010
St. Paul’s completes a new gymnasium and seeks opportunities to make its facilities available to the community.

2013

St. Paul's launches it's Bridge service held in the Trinity Gym to add another worship language.